A broken boiler results in nothing but bad news for all homeowners, especially during the winter months. Issues arise that sometimes the homeowner can solve themselves, however, we would always recommend giving professionals like Origin a call just to be safe and make sure everything is running as smoothly as it can. It’s always better to have an incline of the cause of the problem, here are 8 common boiler problems you may experience:
1. No Heat or Hot Water – This could be caused by a variety of things including broken airlocks, failure of motorised valves or low water levels.
2. Pilot light going out – This could be due to a broken thermocouple, a deposit builds up in the pilot light or a draught blowing the pilot light out.
3. Condensate Pipe-Freezing – During extremely cold weather the condensation in this pipe may freeze and cause a blockage this, in turn, causes a blockage that makes the condensate ‘back up’ into the boiler and cause a shutdown.
4. Pressure Loss – A water leak in the system is the most common reason for a loss of pressure.
5. Boilers that keep switching off – This can be caused by low water pressure, problems with the thermostat and air in the system.
6. Leaks – The location of the leak would need to be found in order to identify the problem as several issues could cause your boiler to leak water.
7. Strange Noises – The air in the system is a common cause, this makes your central heating system emit some strange noises such as banging, whistling or gurgling sounds.
8. Thermostat Problems – The older the thermostat the more likely it is to become less accurate, misreading temperature settings or turning the heating on/off by itself.